Sunday, March 24, 2013

Advertisement Campaign




Tutorial link: http://designinstruct.com/digital-art/make-a-vintage-planetary-landscape-poster-in-photoshop/



Now that you have a few more skills under your belt, it's time to put them to good use.

Assignment:
I want you to create an advertisement for the product you created last fall.

Requirements:
·         8-1/2 x 11 with GREAT typography and it should also be well balanced in its layout.
·         I expect to see excellent use of Photoshop techniques.
·         Include the Illustrator file logo.
·         It MUST be geared for an intended audience. (Think back to your questionnaire).


Post to your blog:
All source images and a LONG caption explaining the processes taken to achieve your ad and the intended audience age (how you focused the ad for that age group). Explain choice of colors, font, and techniques.

Rubric:
·         Completion of Task with source images: 60
·         Appeal of Typography: 15
·         Appeal of Ad: 15
·         Audience Appropriateness: 10

This is a test of Skills -- 2 major grades. Spend some quality time on it, use other tutorials if needed.  Include the links in your caption.

For my advertisement campaign, I decided to use a space theme. I put a starry sky as the background and created a planet with mountains of sprinkles. I did all of this with the help of one of the movie poster tutorials. I started by opening a new document and placing the night sky image in it. I used Ctrl+t to transform the image to fit the document. Then to edit the stars, I chose Image>Adjustment>Curves. This darkened the image resulting in the stars standing out more. Additionally, I dropped the color down, by going to Image>Adjustment>Hue/Saturation. I lowered the Saturation to -50. Next, I added a color gradient. I added a New Layer and double-clicked on the layer to open up the Layer Style dialog window. I added a gradient overlay. I used yellow, magenta, and teal in the gradient overlay. These colors were already suggested by the tutorial, and I decided to keep them because they are bright and fun which goes well with cupcakes. In place of adding the land image the tutorial uses, I used a pile of sprinkles image. I opened up this image in the new document and used the quick selection tool to select the sprinkles out of the image. Next, I moved the selected area to the first document by using the move tool. I repeated this process two more times to create three sprinkle mountains for my planet. Each time I selected a slightly different area of the sprinkles to make the mountains a little different. After adding the mountains, I still had a little room at the bottom of the document that needed to be covered with sprinkles, so I chose a different image. This picture was of sprinkles more spread out and flat. I used the quick selection tool and move tool again to add this image to the document. Next, I went into Illustrator to add some typography to my advertisement. I used Illustrator for this because I wanted my text to be in an arch, and I feel more comfortable in Illustrator with typography. I first used the pen tool to draw a curved line for my text to follow. Then, I selected the type on a path tool and used it to type "...for out of this world cupcakes!" on to my curved line. I then placed this text document into to my Photoshop image and positioned it how I wanted with the transform tool. I chose a white color for my text because I wanted it to stand out and be easy to read on my dark sky background. I selected the font I used for the text because it is fun, yet elegant, just like cupcakes. So, I think this font fits very well. Next, I opened up my "Cupcake Corner" logo in Illustrator. I changed the text in the logo to white and then added it to my advertisement document. I changed to white text for the same reason as stated before. I used certain techniques in my advertisement campaign, such as the gradient overlay, to add more fun color to the image because cupcakes are supposed to be fun and colorful. I made the text curved because I wanted it to be different and also because I wanted its shape to fit well with the cupcake logo. I focused my ad for average people of all ages. I did this because of how it made my ad fun. I didn't want it to be to serious because that is not what cupcakes are about nor what my intended audience would want to see. So, to fit my audience, I made my ad creative and fun by creating a sprinkle planet and using an outer space theme. I think an outer space theme is super cool and the sprinkles are fun, happy, and colorful just like cupcakes at "Cupcake Corner" are supposed to be for the customers.




No comments:

Post a Comment